After 575 days on GAPS, Carter is offically healed. Now he eats everything!

After 575 days on GAPS, Carter is offically healed. Now he eats everything! Well almost everything! He's still eating a real food/non processed diet for the most part and we will stay away from soy in all forms and cauliflower, mainly because Mommy is still scared of those foods. We are sticking with the 80/20 ratio of foods because now he can indulge in a cheat every once and awhile and he's just fine!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lessons

Things FPIES Has Taught Me . . .
·         Two year olds have more compassion than the average 30 year old.
·         Walking around wearing a shirt with vomit stains really isn’t that embarrassing
·         It is possible to go a whole day with poop on your shirt and not know it and not care
·         Doctors are human too, which means they are fallible
·         Doctors don’t keep up with the latest research in their field of expertise
·         Crumbs are scary
·         “A taste of this won’t hurt” is completely untrue
·         The internet is amazing. You really can find anything!
·         Mommy instinct should always be acknowledged
·         Poop really is a four letter word
·         The American culture is completely intertwined with food
·         Support is essential to sanity
·         Passing a food feels like a kid on Christmas morning
·         Failing a food is heartbreaking
·         Just reading food labels will not keep our kids safe
·         Seeing your child’s face covered in food can bring tears of joy to your eyes
·         A birthday cake doesn’t have to be made out of flour or even food
·         Every sunrise is a chance to start over, full of possibility
·         Strength is tangible
·         Sleep is optional
·         It’s amazing how creative you can be with foods
·         No matter how many children you have, you are never prepared for this!
I’m sure are more, but this is a start! Any others that you want to add? Add them as a comment!

5 comments:

  1. Ok, first I was gonna say LOVE THIS POST!! I not only am going to link it on my blog- I'm going to devote today's post to it! :)
    But secondly....ahhhhh, your hubby is so supportive! :)

    Ok- here's my additions:
    Corn and soy are in everything
    FPIES is an ironic world
    Love and support of family and friends is truly amazing
    Faith sustains me
    I used to think I knew what busy was...
    I used to think I knew what tired was...
    Acidic vomit stains carpets...
    Projectile poop is something new to a 4th time mom...
    Everything surpises me and nothing surprises me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a father’s perspective, this syndrome is devastating. It is my responsibility to be the care provider for my family; more than that, it is my responsibility to ensure the welfare of ALL my family members. It is hard enough to see my little “bean” go through this with no understanding of why, but it breaks my heart to see the love of my life struggle with this everyday of Carter’s life. She spends every day with Carter trying to make sure he does not get into the normal baby trouble but additionally has to watch every crumb, spill, snack cup, to make sure he does not get a hold of anything he is not supposed to eat. When he does manage to get something he is not supposed to have, the torture my wife puts herself through for “letting it happen” tares me apart. I never feel like I am there for her enough and I could always do more to help; but what? Carter is a wonderful child taking everything that happens to him in stride and my wife is an amazing woman, far better then I deserve. She never asked for this job but takes it on full force. She has become a great educator to me and others alike. I do not know where I would be without her. She is my love, my life, my everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today my wife told me she did not want to go to a friends house for a monday night football party because she was worried about Carter. I understand and it is okay but it makes me wonder, whatelse will she/he miss out on because of this? will one of us be missing out on things to keep him safe? how much and how long should we protect him? Should I stay home too? Who knows . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember: I am right here with you too!

    ReplyDelete