After 575 days on GAPS, Carter is offically healed. Now he eats everything!

After 575 days on GAPS, Carter is offically healed. Now he eats everything! Well almost everything! He's still eating a real food/non processed diet for the most part and we will stay away from soy in all forms and cauliflower, mainly because Mommy is still scared of those foods. We are sticking with the 80/20 ratio of foods because now he can indulge in a cheat every once and awhile and he's just fine!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

No Surprise

Sometimes you hear the right song at the right time, and something just clicks and falls into place. I’ve always linked events in my life to songs. There is a power in hearing someone sing words that reflect your emotions and your experiences. I now have an FPIES song. I sing it to Carter and we dance around the house together. I feel like I’m singing directly to FPIES and it helps release some of the hold it has on my life. The song is “No Surprise” by Daughtry. The parts in ( ) are my thoughts and how I relate this to our current situation.     

I've practiced this for hours, gone round and round
And now I think that I've got it all down (countless hours of FPIES research) And as I say it louder I love how it sounds
Cause I'm not taking the easy way out (not listening to the first Dr who said he was fine)
Not wrapping this in ribbons (FPIES isn’t pretty, and I’m going pretend it is)
Shouldn't have to give a reason why...

It's NO SURPRISE I won't be here tomorrow (Someday this will be gone)
I can't believe that I stayed till today (Not going to let it hold me or Carter down anymore)
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow (We do make a darn good FPIES team)
But I know in time we'll find this was NO SURPRISE

It came out like a river once I let it out
When I thought that I wouldn't know how (Didn’t think I would be able to handle FPIES)
Held onto it forever just pushing it down
Felt so good to let go of it now (Blogging)
Not wrapping this in ribbons
Shouldn't have to give a reason why

It's NO SURPRISE I won't be here tomorrow
I can't believe that I stayed till today
There's nothing here in this heart left to borrow (Not giving away anymore of myself)
There's nothing here in this soul left to save (Carter and I have saved each other)

Don't be surprised when we hate this tomorrow (Who doesn’t hate what this has done?)
God know we tried to find an easier way
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow
But I know in time we'll find this was NO SURPRISE

Our favorite place we used to go (All the dinners out that rarely happen anymore)
The warm embrace that no one knows (those countless late night snuggles)
The loving look that's left your eyes (the glazed empty look his eyes get during a reaction)
That's why this comes as no, as NO SURPRISE (that we have fought this hard)

If I could see the future and how this plays out
I bet it's better than where we are now
But after going through this, it's easier to see the reason why (I know it will get better, and after all we have done, it has to)

It's NO SURPRISE I won't be here tomorrow
I can't believe that I stayed till today
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow
But I know in time we'll find this was NO SURPRISE

The kiss goodnight, it comes with me (FPIES won’t take this)
Both wrong and right, our memories (The guilt of missed triggers and reactions)
The whispering before we sleep, just one more thing that you can't keep (FPIES won’t take away those moments)
Our favorite place we used to go
The warm embrace that no one knows
The loving look that's left your eyes
But I know in time we'll find this was NO SURPRISE

I just thought I’d share. I’m sure we all have sons that lift us up and make us cry at the same time and this is one of those for me. Carter will probably grow up singing it!

2 comments:

  1. I have 4 SONS that lift me up and make me cry at the same time...oh, you mean SONGS! :) (with a G)- what an appropriate typo!! Hehehe....love you Rebecca!!

    I also have songs that will forever stick in my mind in having gotten me through rough times of FPIES. Stuck on you is a great one (don't know who by) that I've been meaning to blog about and make a little video clip about...not only does it potray my relationship with Sam (can't go anywhere without him) but we ALWAYS dance to it!! :) Another one is one by Lady Antebellum and it has STRONG ties and meaning..."I was here"...POWERFUL words that kept pushing me through...for Sam, and for ALL FPIES kids!!

    Thanks Rebecca (and Carter!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it wasn't really a typo at all!! I just looked up the words to "I was here" and I LOVE it!! I will be downloading that one today!! I can see why it has such strong ties to you!

    ReplyDelete