After 575 days on GAPS, Carter is offically healed. Now he eats everything!

After 575 days on GAPS, Carter is offically healed. Now he eats everything! Well almost everything! He's still eating a real food/non processed diet for the most part and we will stay away from soy in all forms and cauliflower, mainly because Mommy is still scared of those foods. We are sticking with the 80/20 ratio of foods because now he can indulge in a cheat every once and awhile and he's just fine!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Storm Has Hit

A year ago yesterday we were sitting in a doctor’s office in New Jersey. That started a new chapter of doctors and specialists and tests. We closed that chapter and found ourselves in a time of quiet for Carter, a time where we thought we had found our normal.  We were sailing along. But that storm I mentioned in my last post found us and has hit us hard.

We spent yesterday in the ER with Carter. His tummy pain had gotten increasingly worse, causing him to vomit. The screaming was just too much so we took him to get help.  Part of me is still surprised that they helped him. Maybe it was the letter I bought from the doctor explaining what FPIES is and how to treat a reaction, although he wasn’t having a reaction. 

We got right in, no waiting. They drew blood, placed an IV line and did an ultrasound. They gave him Zofran for nausea and IV fluids. Within 10 minutes of the Zofran entering his system, he began to perk up! And let me tell you, I was terrified! Giving him a new medicine, risking a reaction. But we were already in the hospital and that seemed like the safest place to have a reaction. But there was no reaction, just a happy Carter. It’s been so long since I’ve seen a happy Carter!

We went home that afternoon, after being told the ultrasound and blood work both came back normal. Our pediatrician called to check on us in the ER and has already called this morning. We have an appointment on Friday with a new GI doctor. We are determined to find the cause of all this pain.

Since to Zofran worked so well, it makes me wonder if some of him tummy pain complaint, is his way of communicating that he’s nauseas. Either way, it helped and so did the IV fluids. He slept ALL night last night, from 7 pm to 7 am, ALL NIGHT!

He is a happy boy this morning. No crying or fussing. But I must be careful what I say, that’s how yesterday started.  It’s the Murphy’s Law of Moms. If you deep clean something, they will throw up on it. If you comment on how well they are feeling, they will get sick. Well he threw up all over the newly cleaned couch cushion after I’d said he seemed to be feeling much better yesterday.  So today I will just enjoy the happy moments and hope they stay awhile!

1 comment:

  1. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for
    book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google
    account. I look forward to new updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!
    Here is my blog ;